Ishmael Beah

Monday, March 31, 2008

A Day's Dining

After keeping track of my daily diet for the day, I realized that food is a big part of my life. Normally, I do not even think about what is on my plate, let alone where it came from. My diet consisted of toast with peanut butter and a glass of orange juice for breakfast, chicken and rice with broccoli and a glass of milk for lunch, and chicken tacos with refried beans and bottled water for dinner. Throughout my day, I did not visit any fast food joints or eat at any restaurants. All in all, I believe that my day was genuinely healthy, which is normal for my diet. More than likely, the chicken that I ate during lunch as well as dinner, was probably a genetically modified food. The broccoli that was part of my lunch, was fresh, but not organic. The orange juice I drank came from oranges grown in Florida, and was, to my knowledge and as far as I could tell, the thing that traveled farthest to end up in my stomach. Overall, I am not entirely dissatisfied with my meals. None are very high in fat, with the exception of the rice, which just as carbohydrates, and none are terribly “bad” for my health. Currently, I am happy with my daily meal choices, because knowing me and my sense of will-power, they could all be A LOT worse.

2 comments:

Jerimiah said...

Sounds like a pretty healthy day. I wish i could have a diet that good. I tend to hit up the fst food joints.

andy said...

I do not think about what I eat either. If it taste good then i'll eat it rather then think about where it came from or whats in it. Although learning some of the stuff in class has been pretty shocking.