Ishmael Beah

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Truth on Food.....

After learning about of the genetically modified foods as well as all of the details on organic farming, most of my eating habits have not changed. Though I have decided to eat a lot less beef and a lot more chicken in place of it, I have found it very hard to change my eating habits at the drop of a hat. Due to the fact that I cook for myself and my sister most often, it is hard to find things that both of us enjoy eating. If all of a sudden I just took something out of my diet, my sister would have to quit eating it as well, and she is not very understanding in those cases. Though I would like to quite eating everything that is genetically modified or considered a “slow food”, organic foods are much more expensive than other foods found on shelves. Since my parents buy our groceries here at school, it is very hard for me to spend ample amounts of cash on foods that I could get cheaper if buying non-organic.
After watching “Super Size Me”, I have decided to stop eating at fast food restaurants when it can be avoided. So far, I have done very well overall, though I did eat Subway for lunch yesterday. I honestly find it difficult to eat at places that take awhile when I am in a hurry. Baby steps….baby steps!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I find it very hard to just change my eating habits, but I am also going to try to eat less beef! And yes, I agree, fast-food should def be avoided. Hey, Subway is better than McDonalds! :)