One individual that I find to be very heroic, is Harriet Tubman. Throughout a time in history when standing out could possibly get one killed, she was not afraid to do just that. Famous for leading numerous slaves to freedom in the North, Harriet Tubman was one of the many "revered" leaders of the Underground Railroad. Though she was constantly risking her life in doing this, it seemed at though she never failed to put other's safety first, above her own. One interesting point, is that though she was not only black, she was also FEMALE, which also put her at risk of rape, as well as beating, and quite possibly, death.
There are many reasons why I find Harriet Tubman to be a herioc individual. Risking one's life daily is just one of the many reasons that I find her to be important to history. She was very selfless and cared more for others than herself, which truly showed her to be a hero. The way that she seemed to ignore the fact that her life was on the line every time that she stepped out of her door makes her a heroic individual to me. Above all, I find her to be one of the most influential women in our history. She was not afraid to step out of her "safety zone". Courage was definitely a trait that Tubman knew well. It seems that when some were afraid to help those enslaved in the South, she did her best make up for what others were busy not doing. For these and many other reasons, I believe that Harriet Tubman deserves to be recognized as one of the "heroic" figures from America's history.
Ishmael Beah
Interview with Ishmael Beah
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment