Ishmael Beah

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Columbus vs. Columbus....?

On considering Columbus’s affect on the United States, I have many conflicting feelings. First, I feel as though history never really gives us the right points on everything. It is very frustrating to think that we have been taught half of the whole of a story. After reading both of the versions of the story of Christopher Columbus, I cannot help but try to decide which the better and more truthful version is. I, personally, feel that Loewen’s version is more factual, due to his citing of his sources. I believe that the internet source is not quite as credible. The main reason for this is because one isn’t quite sure who the author is of the total article. You cannot find out where all the information comes from. It is very hard to determine where all the information came from because there isn’t even a name listed to contact, if an individual wanted to do so. On the topic of Columbus Day, although I love getting out of school, I feel that it is a joke. Here we are celebrating this holiday that was made on questionable circumstances. No one really knows for sure who founded the Americas, so why celebrate a possibility? I feel that there are plenty of other individuals that could be celebrated that did wonderful things. I just think that we shouldn’t celebrate a holiday that is uncertain.

2 comments:

christine said...

I agree with you that we should not celebrate a "holiday" unless we truly know why it is a holiday.

Courtney said...

I agree that Loewen is definitely the more reliable source here. The government doesn't cite any sources or even give an author. The funny thing is, though, that most people usually trust everything the government says without even thinking about it just because they are a 'valid authority'. Without reading Lowen, I'm sure I wouldn't have questioned it either.