When considering the argument of whether or not proportionality should be considered in war, I have a few feelings on this issue. After considering this thought for awhile, I decided that proportionality should be used depending on the type of war that we are fighting. For example, numerous times in my history classes, I have read about the “guerilla” tactics that the Americans used against the British in the Revolutionary War. This brings to mind the idea that, today, we seem to have our own rules of war, as opposed to two hundred years ago. If we are taking our chances following the “correct procedures” that war uses while the other side is not even caring if they are killing themselves in kamikaze plane crashings, I do not believe that proportionality should be considered. I think that war is war, and one does what he or she needs to do in order to win. I must comment though, that all killing of civilians should be avoided at all costs. I am sure that this is hard at times, but just like in the United States, not everyone is always supportive of what is going on in the war fields. On the ideas of Iraq and proportionality, I think that we are doing as well as we are able. This just so happens to be much better than how we acted with Japan.
Upon saying all this though, I have to admit that one must be ready to accept the consequences of his or her actions. Like LeMay said when he commented on being tried as war criminals, this may have been something that those men should have thought of before committing the offenses. All in all though, I feel that proportionality, though fair, is no always something to be considered in times of war.
Ishmael Beah
Interview with Ishmael Beah
Monday, February 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I totally agree with you on how one should take responsibilty for thier actions. But I also think that because people lives are in jeopardy there should be some type of process that has to be carried out so there will be no mistakes. So basicaly I agree with you.
I agree as well! It was an informative post, as you brought up the idiea like 'something' tactics..One should definetlely consider all the aspects of a war and the make any kind of decision, considering the responsibilies as well!
You're right on with the idea that it depends on the type of war that is being fought. It's pointless to "fight fairly" if the other side isn't doing the same.
Post a Comment