Ishmael Beah
Interview with Ishmael Beah
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Nights in the Red Light District
After watching Zana Briski’s documentary film, I feel that these children did the world a favor by allowing themselves to be filmed and put in this documentary. Because of this video, the world better understands what it’s like for children to grow up in a home where their mothers are having sex in the next room, and their fathers are selling beer under the table right next to them. After watching the documentary, it seems to me that the children enjoyed being on camera, and most of them said that they didn’t want to spend their nights there anymore anyways. I definitely think that the children were pleased to be doing what they were doing. They loved taking pictures and seeing them in important places. Overall, I think that the successes in the end definitely justified the means of making the video. Most of the children were eventually able to be sent to boarding schools or at least given a chance to do something else great. Thought not all of them were able to leave the “Red Light District”, they were still able to be given chances to do things that a lot of children their ages in India, were not able to do. Briski did her best to give the children a better chance than what was waiting for them. The success of the video is measured by the outcome. The video definitely grew to be something great, as well as the children got to do something that they loved, at least for a little while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I also agree on how well the film did by showing a perspective I never would have thought about for children. The good thing was that atleast they had that photography class to somewhat get away from their homes.
Post a Comment