Ishmael Beah

Monday, January 28, 2008

Bling=Bad?!

Growing up in my small-town community, I never really thought about the possibility of owning millions of dollars worth of diamonds. I had always pictured, of course, that one day I would receive one when I grew up and fell in love. Personally, I believe that every girl at some point dreams of owning a 5 carat ring, just as every girl dreams of being a princess at least at some point in her young, innocent life. But then, like always, girls grow up and mature, realizing that "happyily ever after" may not include that shiny rock that she once wished for. Personally, after watching Blood Diamond and researching the issued a little more thoroughly, I have decided that, though I may still purchase a diamond at some point in my life, it is no longer as important to me as it once was. My first question to the jeweler would be, of course, if the diamond was conflict free or not. I have heard stories though, of this question getting individuals kicked out of the jewelry store.
In today’s society, I feel that TV and music have an incredible influence on today’s youth and young adults. I, for one, am a stunning example of this. Upon having seen Blood Diamond, I had once not thought anything about buying diamonds before. Now, on the other hand, I am acutely aware of what some individuals had to go through just to let some rich, greedy American, have a 50,000 dollar engagement ring on her finger. Overall, I feel that America, though it seems cannot do much to stop the illegal trafficking of conflict-diamonds (just as it loses the fight against illegal drugs all the time), it can at least make the small effort of asking before buying their spouse, date, or self, some bling-bling.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I agree with your comment that "TV and music have an incredible influence on today's youth and young adults". It doesn't help that most celebrities wear thousands of dollars worth of jewelry that contains diamonds. I believe that this influences people who like the celebrities to want to be like them and want to own lots of diamonds. I think more celebrities need to be aware of the conflict diamonds and help support against them.

andy said...

I agree with you and how the media can portray something and make it look amazing when actually there are much different viewpoint out there that get over looked. I think that almost everyone looks to receive a diamond sometime in their life and don't understand or realize how they got here. I know i didn't. I thought you had a good post good job.

Jerimiah said...

I agree with the media being a major Influence. But my question is though is is our responsibility to not buy blood diamonds or is it our countries responsibility to not bring them in.

Trice tha Beast said...

I love the title becasue in the newest generation Bling is everything......and its a shame because even though i know about what happens with these diamonds... i still want them..lol